What does this agreement mean to enthusiasts?
1. State Parks will create a Public Works Plan that will dictate new restrictions on motorized travel and camping.
2. They will implement actions intended to reduce particulate emissions including planting vegetation to serve as a natural barrier for particulate matter (PM10), educating members of the riding public how they can be part of the solution, dispersed riding, eliminating camping in the foredunes, looking at creating a southern entrance.
3. It's unclear how much responsibility State Parks actually accepted ad a result of this agreement because of conflicting statements. This statement is one the most disconcerting:
LeGrande tract, where most of the camping and a large portion of the riding activity occurs, contains some of the most emissive areas in ODSVRA and is a significant contributor to the particulate matter emissions impacting downwind residents
Later in the document it states that the respondent (State Parks) denies the allegations. But, it also says that all parties agree that the best resolution for this issue is the adoption of this stipulated order.
4. This will cost Parks a lot of money.
5. Enthusiasts didn't really have a say! As stated in the document, the complaints lodged against the park had a great deal of influence, whether or not they were valid complaints. The more people who wanted to get rid of the park called to complain, the closer they got to the achieving their goal just because they lodged the complaint. It did not have to be based in fact.
On the other hand, the people who will be most affected by the agreement had no valid arguments that were seriously notes by the APCD. Their loss of opportunity, time with their families, etc. was considered negligible and/or frivolous. While the agreement was also careful not go blame enthusiasts, the undercurrent is there.
Because of that fact alone, this may be the only path State Parks felt they had open to continue riding at Oceano Dunes, but it's really bad for the rest of us.
Read the Stipulated Order of Abatement here